What's Hot Right Now

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Holidays cut into reading!

I know I have not kept up on the book review myself, so no worries! I was privileged enough for mom and dad to bring with them a book by Joe Hill. He is the king. Well, no not the king, but a King. For those out there that don't know, he is THE Stephen King's son. Of course he doesn't need to advertise that because he is gifted with his own extreme creative talent for story-telling.
20th Century Ghosts is his book of short stories that I read after Thanksgiving. Let me just say that the man is amazing! Some of these stories are not about ghosts, but just imaginative displays that invite the reader to a different world. A world where anything can be ordinary and sometimes the ordinary is odd. It is a compilation that hearkens back to stories we might see on "Twilight Zone" or "The Ray Bradbury Theater". My favorites, if I picked, were Pop Art and Voluntary Committal.

Pop Art is a story of love, trust and young friendship. It is brilliantly painted with emotion and is probably the most non-fiction story of the bunch. Although my other favorite is closely based in reality as well. At least for those of us who are blessed to know someone with a handicap. [I hate that word, because it never describes the wonderful people who develop differently then others.] Certain things in this story are just the product of creativity. But one character is very real and wonderfully written. I believe the author must be lucky enough to know someone like him.

I would not only recommend reading this book, but strongly suggest you buy it for future enjoyment. I know I will. I can not wait to read Heart-Shaped Box, also by Joe Hill. It has gotten rave reviews and must be good, if 20th Century Ghosts is any indication of what awaits me in those pages.

Love and Praise those King genes!! HIldi

No comments:

Slideshow