What's Hot Right Now

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Jealous?

Gert,
Don't be jealous that I have all the cool stuff! I'll share.

Well I must say I enjoyed the last two books I read.
A Little Bit Wicked, by Victoria Alexander and To Catch An Heiress by Julia Quinn.
I spoke of A Little Bit Wicked briefly, and was pleased with both the characters and the plot. I love it when an author shows us how completely a couple match each other. It's a fun story with a darker side of marriage exposed. Of course there is a happy ending and old wounds are overcome. I would recommend this story to historical romance readers.
The second book, To Catch An Heiress, is the tale of a very strong young lady that has overcome quite a lot on her own. She meets a handsome man with a few secrets and a shadow over his heart.I laughed at the heroine's quirkiness and cried for the pain our hero felt. Together they overcome traitors and loneliness. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and as always would recommend any of Julia Quinn's books.

Tess Gerritsen is the author I am currently reading. The book is called, The Bone Garden, and I am one-hundred and eleven pages into the three-hundred and seventy page book. I can only say, WOW! This book grabs you from the first page on. I am a huge fan of mysteries and this one not only applies, it has two. At least that's all I have found so far. This story is dark, scary and very graphic. Yes, I am slightly squeamish, so I must admit to reading ahead of the detailed autopsies and dissections . That is why it's soo good, though. I don't mind to skip a paragraph just to get to the next part. The characters are very real and the period detail is wonderful. I love to learn when I read and I feel like this book can teach quite a bit. I'm already attached to the two main females.
It starts with a letter from 1888, and then goes to the present. Our first female character is a divorced woman who bought an old house on her own and finds bones buried in the yard. Then we move to 1830 and a hospital lying-in ward for pregnant women. Our next character is there. I have to stop or I'll share the whole thing.

I shall let you know how I like it when I'm done, but I already love it!


The next book I have to read is the third installment in the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning. She is one of my favorite authors and I am very excited to read it. If you like time traveling, fae, and all things magical and dark, then she's the author for you.


Love and make believe, Hildi

No comments:

Slideshow